Sunday, April 29, 2012

Race Report: Santa Cruz Half Marathon

On April 1st I completed my third half marathon. This was the one I decided to do because my awesome new runner partner thought it would be a fun challenge.
This being only my third half marathon I learned some stuff I already know, like don't go out so fast, keep up a good pace.  And know that mile 6 is going to be tough.


Well it was a challenge. My running partner couldn't race because of over training and she got injured. I was out there alone.

This race was fun but had some cons

Cons
  • I know the route way too well
  • With registration cost at $55 you think you could have water not from the fire hydrant and electro light drinks - especially at the mile 6 aid station (body armor I'm talking to you)

Now for the positive!
Pros
  • I know the route really well
  • Mostly flat course - ALONG the ocean
  • 8:00 am start time
  • miles 6-8 running the bluffs at Wilder Ranch ( this is where runners really opened up)
  • Fun medal
  • Tech t-shirt
  • Fans- best sign "hey Random Runner you rock"
  • My family being out at wilder ranch to cheer me on
  • My injured running buddy at mile 10 with cliff blocks.
  • Biggest pro of all I got a personal best
  • running my half in 2:10 mins that is 7 minutes off my Nike women's half marathon time... Wow!
  • It was a great way to start spring and my racing ( non virtual ) season for 2012.

What big races do you have coming up?

2 comments:

  1. Great job! I'm going to do See Jane Run 1/2 in June and hopefully some trail races soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! The course looks beautiful! Love that you had your family there to cheer you on:)

    ReplyDelete