Saturday, January 16, 2010

8.56 Miles Today!!!

Ever since I finished my first half marathon  I haven't really been able to get my mileage back up.  But after today I would have to say I found my running endurance legs.

8.56 miles at the Forest of Nisene Marks State Park.

The first couple miles where really hard, just trying to wake up my body, get comfortable on the road.  But once I started going, had a luna moon, had good conversation with my running buddie it was awesome!

With each mile, and especially the last mile I had to use positive self talk.  I practiced having an attitude of gratitude.

From Coach Suzanne Cordes: "Practice the emotion of gratitude. Make this your “default setting” or a state of mind that you become very accustomed to. Gratitude is a top strength of happy people."

Using phrases like "you rock", "go becca go",  "arms" (for up hill) along with breathing in through my nose for a count of three and exhaling through my pursed lips for a count of three all help get me through this amazing run.

Getting outside away from cars has been on of the best things I could I have done for my distance running.  I just love that I have a place to run and run and run in the trees. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by such beauty.

For more information about the Forest of Nisene Marks State Park click here.
To download the trail map click here (PDF).


3 comments:

  1. I often find the first few kilometers the hardest...being a new runner, I often wondered if this was common. Nice to know it also happens to slightly more experienced runners...
    Good for you for pushing through the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on the run. It looks like a beautiful place to run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great run, love the positive self.

    ReplyDelete